Friday, May 21, 2010

The Bathroom


I can’t believe about to do this but yes, this will be a whole post related to the bathroom. It seems to be such a big part of my life right now and I wonder if I’m normal. While I hope that you aren’t going through the same thing, it would be comforting to know that there are others out there.

It started a few months ago when I started to get super constipated. I’m talking a week without going #2. When I finally did go it took a lot of work for little results and it sounded like I was having a baby. I would lay on the couch in pain from being so backed up. I had some spotting (info for another post) and wound up in the hospital overnight. The dr. came in when I was on the bed pan and I told her I was having trouble going to the bathroom. While I was talking about #1, she thought I was talking about #2. She said the nurse could give me an enema. At that point it had only been 4 days and the thought of my insides exploding while I was spotting and had passed a blood clot scared me so I declined. 3 days later I took some over the counter (dr. approved) laxatives. It took them 2 days but they finally worked. Thankfully I’m a little more regular in the #2 department, the down side I’m taking iron pills so everything that comes out is black or dark green which is GROSS.

All in all though I thought I was out of the woods, then the need to pee every 30 minutes began. I keep reading online this happens in the 1st trimester, gets better in the 2nd and worse again in the 3rd. For me, it was so, so in the 1st trimester and has gotten progressively worse. Before I got pregnant, I would drink about 1 ½ gallons of water a day and only go to the bathroom 5 or 6 times. I never had a problem. Now, I drink less and go all the time. I’m talking about 10 times from the time I get home from work till I go to bed, a minimum of 3 times in the middle of the night but on average 5. We even went to the beach this weekend a mere hour drive. I had to stop half way home, it was an emergency!! Then, when we got home I had to run to the bathroom.

And the best story of all, a couple of weeks ago I was asleep on the couch and had a dream that I had to pee and I went. A while later I woke up and had to pee for real, only to find out that I had not only peed in my dream, but all over the couch. How gross is that. I’ve never been a bed wetter and here I am at 35 peeing in my sleep. I thought my husband was going to joke about it after I told him but he didn’t. Have I become so gross that these things aren’t even funny? A few days later he came back from the grocery store with some bed pads that I think old people use when they wet the bed. Yes, this is what it has come to. I haven’t peed in my sleep again but it is comforting to know that if I do I’m protected!

Hope you are all doing better in the bathroom department than me.

1 comment:

  1. This is the crap they never tell you!!!!! I haven't written a post about this, but I totally could too! Here is my life saver: shredded wheat for breakfast every morning. When we went away for a few days, I was miserable without it. With it, happy as a clam. My friend told me you can also ask your doctor for a prenatal with a stool softener in it which will help. I'm also a huge water drinker and am visiting the ladies room even more than the 1st tri! What am I going to do when we drive to Alaska? ARGH!!! Take care of yourself and your little avocado!

    ReplyDelete